"Borders are set up to define the places that are safe and unsafe, to distinguish us from them. A border is a dividing line, a narrow strip along a steep edge. A borderland is a vague and undetermined place created by the emotional residue of an unnatural boundary. It is in a constant state of transition. The prohibited and forbidden are its inhabitants.” ― Gloria E. Anzaldúa, Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza
In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, and in partnership with The Wing, we are creating a space to stimulate conversation and generate action around immigrant rights. These topics will be heavy, and it's important to us that attendees of color feel comfortable being open about their experiences without having to provide the emotional labor of education or silence/downplay parts of their story. RSVP with this in mind if you are an ally. We welcome you, and need you to fight the good fight with us.
- Jamila Hammami, MSW (and SIFI), Adjunct Professor and Social Welfare PhD Candidate at the CUNY Graduate Center
- Luba Cortés, Immigrant Defense Coordinator at Make The Road New York
- Shaday Fermin, ACLU Legal Administrative Assistant for the Reproductive Freedom Project
- Pamela Chomba, Director of State Immigration Campaigns for FWD.us
- Taslim Tavarez, Legal Assistant at ACLU Immigrants' Rights Project
- Danielle Alvarado, Immigrants' Rights staff attorney at the Urban Justice Center
RUN OF SHOW:
Happy Hour: 6:30pm - 7pm
Introduction to Topic, Activists: 7-7:20pm
Prompts, Small Group Work: 7:25-7:45pm
Sharing Circle + Q&A: 7:45-8:15pm
Wrap Up / Happy Hour/ Call Your Senator Phone Booths: 8:30-9:00pm
Are you on the Waitlist? Don't worry! We'll be in touch ~72 hours prior to the event if anyone drops their RSVP and we can get you in the door.